Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dad's 70th Birthday Party

Saturday we had a 70th birthday party for my Dad. This has been in the works for several months and we were trying to keep it a surprise. Since Dad decided to take an out of town business trip my brother had to tell him to be back by Friday night. Since it was the week of his birthday he knew something was up, he just didn't know what.
We decorated with an African theme since Dad was a missionary to Africa for 10 years. my sis-in-law did a great job with the decorations, but I forgot to take very many pictures of them!
Dad has a lot of slides from his college day and from Africa. They have been in his attic for years. We took them out of his attic and I went through about 1500 slides! We had some of them put unto a CD and Tim made a slide show that we had playing at the party.(Sam's will put slides on a CD for .18 cents)
For his gift we ask people to send in letters and scrapbook pages telling what Dad meant to them. We compiled this into a scrapbook and it turned out really nice.
We had a great time and are so blessed to have a such a wonderful father. Dad with all his grand kids
The Whole Russell Gang
Friends from his college days.
Dad modeling one of his gifts. It says Caution- Frequent Senior Moments
Click in the picture below for more pictures of the party.

4 comments:

Leah said...

I really loved seeing the pics. Happy Birthday, Bro. Russel!!
Would you mind if I copy one or two for the Pilgrim website?

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

I think it is so nice that your family made his 70th birthday so special. I know he will treasure his scrapbook-what a nice gift.

Jana said...

Looks like a great party. I am SO excited to hear that Sam's will put slides on a CD!!! My parents have tons that I would love to get copies of. Can't wait to try out this service.

Keith said...

Thanks for posting these pictures, Sis. We all had a great time.

I wish I had a recording of Dad's "Rich Man" speech. I've never heard such a moving expression of thanksgiving to friends, family, and God.