Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I am not without Hope since the election


Here are a few thoughts that have been rumbling around in my head the last two days. I think that it goes without saying that I did not want Obama to win. I was very disappointed that he won so handily. I was also disappointed today to find out that the Republicans did not come out to vote in as great of numbers as the Democrats. McCain was not my 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd choice, but he was the candidate that was picked, and to not come out to vote for him was a vote for Obama.
All that being said, I am still proud to be an American! Our country has had bad Presidents before. We have had things in our past that I am not proud of (aka slavery), and I abhor of our stance on abortion. But America is still in the best country in the world. I will not be joking about moving to Canada.(I apologize to my Canadian friends.) I did not think that it was funny or patriotic when Democrats said it after Bush won.

Here are a few reasons I am not without hope because of the election.

  • My hope is in God and not politics. "Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord." Ps. 31:24 "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."Ps.43:5
  • God is still on the throne.
  • To be hopeless means having no hope, no possibility of solution, and impossible to solve. "With God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
  • The Dems did not get a filibuster proof congress. So I will be vigilant and call all my congressmen when a bad bill comes up.
  • Kentucky is still a red state! Kentucky was the first state called for McCain. We also sent back our Republican Representative and Senator (one of the ones that the Dems had targeted to take his seat).
  • Gay marriage ban passed in all 3 states where it was being voted on.
  • I still have a great husband, kids, family, church, and friends.
  • The sun is still coming up everyday.
Is there things that I don't like and am worried about? Yes! But you get less gray hair, sleep better and are happier when you look at the glass half full!

Here is a link to a great post about the difference faith in our lives makes, and also brings into perspective our blessing that we enjoy in America.

5 comments:

Belle said...

Well said!!

Leah said...

Amen and Amen! Great post!

Michele said...

Surprisingly enough I too have been optimistic about the outcome of this election! Thanks for your encouragement. I have also been following Marlboro Man's journey and it has been inspiring. I would love to sponsor a child through Compassion International. Anyway, thanks again for sharing and God Bless America!

skier1998 said...

I couldn't have said it better. Despite the sinking feeling in my gut Tuesday night as I went to bed.. - Wednesday morning, I did not sob buckets of tears or go bury my head in the sand. And here in Cincinnati the sun still rose in the east and set in the west. ;-) On a more political side - in the last (unless I am mistaken - for I am not a history expert) 20 years... 16 have been with a republican president. In reality - we cannot always get what we want.. we will not always have a republican president. Much to my chagrin... Great post!

Anonymous said...

What a writer my friend is!!!! Great Job!! I always love reading your blogs anyways!!! And Thank You - Thank You - Thank You for reworking my header on my blog!! Your the greatest!!!!