Thursday, May 1, 2008

Loosening the Grasp a Little

Tuesday we said goodbye to a very excited 12 year old that was heading for Florida with her Grandma and Grandpa Stamper. She as been looking forward to this for over a year. She left behind three jealous siblings and one mommy with very mixed feelings. I am very happy and excited for her and I am glad that she is confident and secure enough to go on a trip without us. I am glad that she has this wonderful opportunity to make some great memories, but I am learning that this growing up thing is not easy on the parents. We don't wait until they are all grown up to let them go all at once, it is process. Loosening the grasp a little at a time. I know, I know, you are probably saying "she is only twelve" I guess that I am just being nostalgic tonight. I am at home wondering if I prepared her enough, is she getting enough sleep, is she homesick? We talk to her several times a day and she is having a blast. Five more days and she will be home. Will she seem older? Will I still see glimpses of the little girl that still pops out even though she tries to act like she is growing up? I hope so!!

One happy girl on her way to Florida.


Walter tried to hide in the back seat of the car but he got caught.

Mothers hold their childrens hands for a while but their hearts for forever.

3 comments:

Michele said...

When I was 12 my parents let me fly from Cincinnati to Pennsylvania to see my grandparents. It was exciting and I can't imagine my little guy will be that age in one short year! Where does the time go?

Nancy said...

OK....now I feel like crying. I just dread those days....when they start leaving and getting excited about it. But like you said, it's all part of a process. That's neat she got to go and I LOVE the backpack...soo cute!

Kelly S said...

This is sad! She is growing up way too fast. We sure are glad she's back!